Dominican Republic Marriage Requirements
Dominican Republic marriage requirements for foreigners make possible to celebrate a civil union between a local and a foreigner, or both groom and bride to get married in the island if both are foreigners. The paperwork can be initiated with photocopies sent via email, and the couple must bring the originals to the island’s Civil Status Office when arriving to the country.
Of the list of requirements to get married in the Dominican Republic, the first items in the list are the easiest; copy of the passport, a copy of the passport’s last entry to the DR, and the affidavits. The Birth certificate should be easy as well, and in some countries that can be taken care of online.
- Original passport with photocopy of the identification page
- Copy of the passport’s last entry to the country ( DR )
- Affidavits of marital status, before a notary public, of being single and eligible to marry; the sworn declaration then needs to be legalized at the Offices of Procuraduría General de La República. If the Sworn declaration is done before a U.S. notary, it then needs to be legalized at the closest Dominican Consulate in the U.S.
- Original birth certificates; copies and a legal translation of the certificate; central authorities in both the United States and the Dominican Republic now authenticate their own public documents, such as birth, death or marriage certificates, with a certificate of apostille (name of the authentication stamp). You can get your document apostille at the office of Vital Records in your state, or visit www.italiamerica.org/vital_records.htm.
- Divorce Certificate(s) or Death Certificate(s), if applicable; and
- Two or more witnesses with valid passports, other than family.
Embassies & Consulates Contact
Sosua Catamaran weddings have the concierge service to assist you in the process, and we include the DR civil union fee required from everyone who wants to get married in the island. If you need more information let us know, or use the consulate contacts in the list below.
- Dominican Embassy in Canada – Marriage
- Dominican Consulates in the United States
- United States Embassy – DR Documentation Reciprocity
- Dominican Republic Embassies and Consulates local and abroad
- Dominican Republic Embassy in United Kingdom
- Embassy Worldwide – Dominican Republic
- How to apostille Canadian Documents