The Sosua Catamaran Experience
The Sosua catamaran experience takes the visitor to a journey of hidden gems in the North Coast of the Dominican Republic, more than just a snorkeling charter. In our case, the customer leads the way and can select the best route according to some tips we provide here. If you notice the catamaran map below, it shows red dots pinpointing landmarks of the tour, where tropical reefs and secluded beaches are found.
Sosua is a popular tourist destination in the Dominican Republic, known for its beautiful beaches, vibrant nightlife, and snorkeling and diving opportunities; yet it is possible best known to many tourists for its nautical activities, specially catamaran and yacht tours. Sosua catamaran cruises typically depart from Sosua Beach and take guests on a tour of the Sosua Bay.
Sosua Beach Reefs
Once guests board the skiff in Sosua Beach, they are taken to the catamaran, which can first stop by Cabezos, a beautiful reef that can be seen in the aerial photo below (#3). The bay has some interesting spots for reef fish snorkeling, and a unique, large Taino Atabey zemi statue that began an underwater museum for free divers (16ft depth) and scuba divers.
Second best stop in the route for a superb catamaran charter experience is to sail to Puerto Chiquito ( El Tablon Beach ), jump into the water and climb into the “Indian cave” for a great photo op. Above the cliff, and old, long forgotten hotel sits overlooking the small bay like a timeless sentinel.
Sosua Beach Marine Life
Along the way, you’ll have the opportunity to snorkel in the clear waters of the bay, where you can see a variety of colorful fish and coral reefs. You may also spot turtles, sergeant major, squid, grunt, blue tang, dolphins, and other Sosua marine life.
Please do not touch the corals or feed the fish here. After snorkeling, you’ll have time to relax on the catamaran’s deck, soak up the sun, and enjoy some drinks from the cat bar. The catamaran also has a built-in barbecue, so you can enjoy a delicious lunch or dinner while you’re cruising.
Alicia Beach, the Next Stop
Right past Piergiorgio’s La Puntilla we find Alicia Beach (photo#9), a secluded stretch of beach that came out of nowhere about 18 years ago after a storm. This location is more suitable for divers due to the depth, but the beauty of it make it a great sightseeing experience for catamarans sailing by en route to other beaches; also for a truly relaxing beach day.
Sosua catamaran cruises are a great way to spend a day in the sun and sea. They’re perfect for couples, families, and groups of friends. Whether you’re a first-time visitor to Sosua or a seasoned pro, a catamaran cruise is a must-do experience.
Casa Marina Beach
Casa Marina beach is the next in line, right past Alicia Beach. It is another secluded beach that mostly services the Casa Marina Beach resort customers, although it has a public access alley. It is another landmark location along the charter route, a good reference for those planning to visit Sosua to spend a weekend or longer in town.
Sosua Three Rocks
Considered one of the top snorkel spots in Sosua, Three Rocks consists of 3 coral rock pinnacles lying at a depth of 9m (30 ft). It is located off the coast of Imbert Beach, another secluded beach where some charters stop and jump into shallow waters (4-5 feet). It is private property, so please stay by the shore if you do swim to it. Photo #10 shows one of the rocks, right by the Fountaine Pajot catamaran we charter.
The Ocean Club Marina
Right before reaching three rocks we find the Ocean Club Marina, which also has a helipad and a man-made jetty with beach. We often pick up clients staying at that exclusive hotel run by Marriott, which we recommend. The Bahia Lounge restaurant there is fantastic, they also include a spa and luxurious penthouses; it also includes an elegant swimming pool with ample deck and beautiful vistas.
Here are some of the things you can expect on a Sosua catamaran cruise:
- A scenic tour of Sosua Bay and the coastal areas
- Snorkeling in the clear waters of the bay and reefs
- Opportunities to see the beautiful marine life
- Relaxation time on the catamaran’s deck
- Drinks from the included selection
- A delicious lunch or dinner cooked on the catamaran’s barbecue
- Onboard party music
Here are some tips for booking a Sosua catamaran cruise:
- Book your cruise in advance, especially if you’re traveling during peak season or a special holiday.
- Choose a cruise that fits your budget, there are several sizes to choose from in our listings.
- Transfers: Make sure to get transportation to Sosua Beach; this is the most popular departure point for catamaran cruises in Sosua. Our concierge provides contact information to the most efficient and trusted transfer companies that pick up at the resort or cruise ports.
- Ask about the size of the catamaran and the number of guests it can accommodate. If you’re traveling with a large group, you’ll want to book a larger catamaran.
- Find out what’s included in the price of the cruise before booking, the information can be found in every listing we have in the Sosua Catamaran. Private charter cruises include snorkeling gear, drinks, and lunch or dinner.
- Read about photography tips to make the most of the trip using your phone.
Sosua catamaran cruises are a great way to experience all that Sosua has to offer. They’re perfect for a fun-filled day on the water with friends or family. If you’re planning a trip to Sosua, be sure to book a catamaran cruise.
The Catamaran in this trip can be booked here.